ROMAN HILLS & CASTELGANDOLFO
PICKUP/DROP OFF LOCATIONS
- Pick up: Civitavecchia port - cruise ship dock at the main terminal
- Drop off: Civitavecchia port - cruise ship dock at the main terminal
SHORE EXCURSION LENGTH: Pickup at 8:00 am at the ship; drop off at 5:00 pm at the ship
- Narration by a professional driver/guide
- Roman hills
INCLUDED IN THE PRICE
This tour includes a Professional English-speaking driver that gives commentaries of the sites seen. Due to strict Italian laws & regulations that protect officially licensed guides, our drivers can only comment and explain the sights from inside the vehicle, and are not allowed to do so once they are outside the vehicle. A Professional licensed guide, where needed, can be hired on request at an extra cost.
NOT INCLUDED IN THE PRICE
- Entrance fee to museums and ruins
- Food, Beverages
- Gratuities 15 % to 20 % ( optional)
This is a tour designed for those that have already visited Rome once or more times and would like to do something different for a change
After meeting your driving guide near the gangway of your ship, you will start with a drive to the hilltop towns south of Rome. People call these villages the Roman Castles since they originate from the castles that the Roman nobles built on the most suitable hilltops of their property. Over the years many people built their homes outside the castles so to be protected by it and finally they built walls around the city for even more protection. When better times came, in the Renaissance era, those castles were converted into villas and the nobles spent their summers there with a cooler climate than Rome. The location and the climate were ideal for growing grape vines and the area has always been known for producing superb white wines. These wines are usually named after the town where they are produced and the most famous is the wine produced in the town of Frascati. The area has beautiful hills and lakes and the little towns have a special atmosphere making these hills very popular for the Romans that live in Rome. The first one of the towns we reach is Grottaferrata, there we can visit the Abbey founded in the 10th Century by St. Nilo. Afterwards we proceed driving on the beautiful "Via dei Laghi" (the road of the lakes) to Nemi. The road goes up the hills between the woods of the Alban Hills and offers breath taking views of the villages and the lakes. Nemi is a lovely little town overlooking the lake and known for producing special strawberries. Finally we'll reach Castelgandolfo which is the most charming of the small towns in this area. It will be possible to make a stop at a local trattoria for a typical lunch.
Castelgandolfo is splendid little town sitting right on the edge of what, millions of years ago, was the crater of a volcano and is now a beautiful lake. The town owes its name to the fact that it developed around the castle of the Gandolfo family. Pope Urban VIII Barberini, in the 17th Century, made of it the Summer Residence of the Popes. Even today the Pope spends the hottest months of the year there. The general area is also known for its outstanding food and there's a lovely little restaurant, right in the old part of town where, weather permitting, one can have lunch on a beautiful terrace overlooking the lake. There are family run restaurants and all the people that work there are really dedicated and will serve you an unforgettable lunch! Castelgandolfo is in the area that's famous for its wines, you probably heard of Frascati , Marino, Velletri...etc. The young man in charge of the restaurant is an expert sommelier so he can help you make a good choice!
The vehicle and your rome private driver will be at your complete disposal for the entire duration of the tour. If you like, you can ask your driver to modify your tour to meet your complete satisfaction.
- Please dress respectfully for visiting religious monuments; local custom requires covering knees and shoulder
- The proposed itineraries are only examples of possible tours. For different pick up / drop off locations or customized itineraries we invite our clients to contact one of our tour coordinators to help them design their own tour
- Often are drivers do not have a POS on board. You can use your credit card(s) at easily found ATM machines to withdraw cash. Your driver can show you where to find one. You get the cash just when you need it. The exchange rate is very convenient and it is the same rate applied when you purchase something with your Credit Card
- No charge will be applied for cancellations made up to 7 days prior to the service date
- Cancellations made 7 days prior to the service date: 50% chargé
- Cancellations made 48 hours prior to the service date: 75% chargé
- Cancellations made 24 hours of less or no show: 100% chargé
Quality comes with a price beware of low cost tours !!!